The birth of the World Wide Web just over 20 years ago has given rise to endless opportunities to improve the way we communicate, do business, socialize and even shop. The world as we know it is changing at such an incredibly fast pace, that it’s sometimes hard to comprehend the sheer magnitude of this thing we call the internet and the impact it has on our everyday lives.
Perhaps one of the most significant developments in this “age of the internet” is our ability to buy virtually anything online, from flowers to gifts, to clothing, accessories, software and even our groceries. Yes, there is no doubt that online shopping, otherwise known as e-Commerce has become an integral part of our lives.
But Just How Big is e-Commerce Really?
The e-commerce sector continues with a double-digit growth year over year. Since many of you have online florists or you have your own flower or gifting website to support your bricks and mortar florist business, and if you don’t, you should seriously be thinking about getting one… we thought we would share some interesting statistics with you about online shopping and the e-Commerce industry. Conversion rate optimization specialist Invesp has created this great infographic that highlights some interesting facts about the E-commerce industry, its growth and the latest trends, and gives us a good idea of how big e-Commerce really is…
The e-Commerce Infographic
Infographic by Invesp
If you are viewing this article in an email, click here to see the infographic.
History of the Internet
In 1979 – Michael Aldrich invented Online Shopping
In 1990 – Tim Berners-Lee created the first World Wide Web server and browser
In 1994 – Pizza Hut Offers online ordering on their Web Page
Netscape launches the first commercial Browser called Navigator
In 1995 – Amazon starts selling Books Online
E-bay is founded by Pierre Omidyar as AuctionWeb.
- More than 85% of online population has used the internet to purchase something.
- More than 50% of the online population has shopped online more than once.
- 73% of Consumers prefer Online Shopping because it saves time
- Global e-Commerce sales are growing by more than 19% a year and will be at almost $1.4 trillion by 2015
- e-Commerce Sales in US are growing at 10% a year and will grow to $279 billion by 2015
- There are more than 178.5 million consumers in the USA and will grow to 201.1 million by 2015
- 54% of online shoppers are of the age group 18-30 years
- 75% of online shoppers use credit/debit cards for online shopping
- India is the highest growing and Portugal the least growing e-Commerce country right now
- Residents of North Dakota spend the highest percentage (16.9%) of their income on online shopping whereas residents of Maine spend the least percentage (1.83%) of their income on online shopping
- Illinois has the lowest average shipping time of 2.55 days, whereas Hawaii has the highest average shipping time – 4.10 days for online orders
- 40% of the items that are sold online are Books
- The Mobile e-Commerce market is growing year over year and will be more than 23.8 Billion by 2015
It has always been vital for businesses to be present wherever their customers are, and clearly more and more customers are turning to online shopping.
So how about you? Have you already got a strong online presence? Are you investing in e-Commerce for your bricks and mortar business? Tell us about your own online strategy in the comments below, and if you have any questions regarding e-Commerce or an online strategy for your business, ask away…
PS: If you enjoyed this article, help spread the word by clicking the “Like” button, “Tweet” button or sharing it using the share icons below. Want to read more articles like this? Then Subscribe to our Updates, and get our articles directly to your inbox or RSS reader.
- The Effects of Bad Customer Service
- How to Find a Florist & Save Money Sending Flowers
- Organic Flowers: The Greener Way
- Flower Grower to Consumer in 24 hours: FloraHolland
10 Comments to “How Big is the e-Commerce Industry Really?”
Leave a comment
Subscribe to Updates
- Create Your Own Unique Valentine’s Day Flower Arrangement
- Extraordinary Halloween Floral Arrangement Ideas
- Valentines Roses May Make Her Swoon, but Tulips Can for Less
- Valleflor: The Road Less Traveled
- Roses from Living Soil
- Ecuador Rose Grower Nurtures Flowers With Love
- Where Do Cut Flowers Grow & How Do They Reach Me?
- The Effects of Bad Customer Service
- Send Flowers for Mothers Day — Without the Hidden Fees
- How to Give Stylishly Chic Mother’s Day Flowers
- Secrets of Flowers Revealed
- How to Make Sugar-Frosted Flowers
- Valentine’s Day Aftermath: Don’t Give Up After a Bad Bouquet
- Valentine’s Day: Just One More Reason to Give Flowers
- 3 Easy Techniques to Create Black Flowers
- Halloween Party Ideas: 9 Tips to Create Ghostly Decor